Friday, January 25, 2008

Why I Chose My Topic...

My topic is beauty all over the world. I decided on this topic because I was interested in finding out what different cultures found beautiful. In our culture, for example, skinny, tan, and tall with done up hair and makeup is what is considered beautiful. This stereotype doesn't exist in many other cultures. Some cultures like larger women, who are muscular and are beautiful because of their connection with the earth and fertility. In other countries, pale faces and tiny frames are considered innocently beautiful. I think this topic will be fun because I know my own culture so well in this area, but not really anywhere else. Another interesting part about it is how the media affects how women choose to look. In America, magazines and TV play a huge rule in how women look. This is very different in other countries, where beauty isn't measured by comparisons to movie stars and celebs, but instead by how strong you can be. I'm excited to learn more about my topic and get a grasp on what beauty is.