Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Feedback to Myself

So far I have gathered a good amount of information, but most of it is coming from one specific article. The article was "Beautiful Women" by Judy Wade. This article provided information from different cultures about beauty. Some places like Africa, Japan, Russia, America, and Hawaii. My goal for the moment is to start digging deeper and finding more sources, like book and databases. I want to begin to answer my original question which was WHY are these places all over the world mutilating their bodies, and what is it saying about inner beauty vs. outer beauty? So far, I'd say that the mutiliation in different countries is showing that physical beauty is more important in some cases. In America, I believe that we are obsessed with the way we look. Plastic surgery is happening everywhere, and women of all ages are trying to be like the movie stars and models they see in t he media. What happened to intelligence? Now botox and a nose job are what many Americans look at and find attractive. I disagree. I do believe that in some cultures, such as the Chinese culture, the foot-binding is representing a personality. The admired personality in this culture is young, innocent, gentile, and soft-spoken. Tiny feet that creates an almost tip toe-like walk, gives the appearance of this emotion. I still have a lot of information to gather so I can fully answer my thesis question.