Why are different cultures around the world mutilating their bodies to be beautiful? What is this saying about inner beauty vs. physical beauty?
Friday, February 15, 2008
Picture
Wow. That picture is majorly disturbing I guess it shows how much people will do for attention. I guess it is a lesson for all of us about how different people view beauty. I think your topic is very interesting and that the use of pictures really describe your topic well.
I was disgusted by many of the bizarre mutiliating traditions of beauty I had found so far, but realized that Americans have physical transformations as well. The image above is of 28 year old Jenny, who has already had 26 plastic surgeries! She says that once she had one surgery, she became obsessed with changing her body. She had a bad relationship with her husband, who pressured her to get some of her first surgeries. After they divorced, she continued to change her body. "She's also had Botox, cheek implants, three nose jobs, venners on her teeth, three lip implants, two boob jobs, three breast lifts, and libosuction on her arms, stomach, hips, thighs, and knees." (oprah.com) The cost of these surgeries is up to 80,000 dollars. Do you think it's worth it??
Paudaung Woman Wearing Neck Rings
In Paudaung, Burma, women wear brass neck rings around their neck to lengthen it and improve posture. The neck becomes so accustomed to the rings, that if they are taken off, the woman can not hold her head up. A long neck and good posture is very beautiful in this culture.
People and Books
J.D. Lloyd. Body Piercing and Tattoos, Examining Pop Culture. Farmington Hills, MI. Greenhaven Press. 2003.
Kathylyn Gay and Christine Whittington. Body Marks, Tattooing, Piercings, and Scarification. Brookfield, Connecticut. Twenty-First Cnetury Books. 2000.