Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Changing the Question

Originally, I had the question "What do different cultures find beautiful, and why?" This topic was much to broad, so now I'm thinking about different questions. I have an interest in the deforming, mutilating aspects of beauty. It sounds bad, but I've been wondering how pain and sacrifice can be beautiful. For instance, two other posts I have made about African scarification and neck rings in Paudaung, Burma. These women cut their faces, and elongate their necks. If the rings were to be taken off, the women would choke to death from not being able to hold up their head. How can this be beautiful? I want to understand why. Another question, that actually partially relates to my previous question, is internal and external beauty. Some cultures think being intellectual is beautiful, while Geishas believe in having twisted and broken feet. Another question is what about America's effect? How are they changing the ideas of beauty all across the world? In Japan, women want to be more like Western Cultures with higher noses and deeper facial features. But these cultures are also affecting us. Many American women admire the innocence and delicate beauty of the Japanese. I have many questions to choose from. I hope that I can develop a question soon. But I would like some imput or suggestions on which question/thesis I should choose.