Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Summary

While creating this blog, gathering research, and analyzing my results, I believe I have found the answer to my original thesis question. Why are different cultures around the world mutilating their bodies to be beautiful? What is this saying about inner beauty vs. physical beauty?
The question itself has many answers. The reasons why different cultures around the world are mutilating their bodies to be beautiful, is for; cultural acceptance within the community, the look of innocence and gentility, the idea of toughness and fertility, to change ones self do to personal doubts and self-conscienceness, for religious beliefs, to appear small and weak to raise the ego of the male race, to attract attention, to show social status, and to see what they believe is beautiful when they look in the mirror.
Each one of the answers goes out to a different culture, but their are also many other cultures that I did not look at in this project, but their reasons for mutilating their bodies are similar to the answers I have provided. The truth is, I believe these women care more about being beautiful then protecting their own bodies. Women break their bones, starve themselves, cut their faces, and stretch their necks not caring about the medical risks involve. This way of life for many cultures shows the importance of outside beauty, and the insignificance of inner beauty. Researching for this blog also showed me that although some cultures value a specific physical appearance, sometimes the appearance respresents a personality trait. Overall, I learned throughout my research that mutilation to achieve beauty shows how much more signicant outer beauty is then inner beauty. I enjoyed my research topic because I've seen it happening in my own country and wanted to learn about how and why it was happening in other places. I believe I achieved my goal of learning about my topic and answered my thesis question.